Any homebuyer will tell you that choosing the perfect mortgage is just as important as choosing the perfect home. For many, buying a home with cash is not possible, which is why finding the right mortgage loan program is essential. When choosing the right mortgage for you, it is important to find one that works with your unique budget, as it is an expense that you will be paying off over the course of many years.
To better help you on your home buying journey, we’ve compiled a list of 5 guidelines to follow when choosing the right mortgage for you.
- Determine how much you can afford. Your mortgage is made up of two main costs. These are (1) the loan principal and (2) the interest. The principal is the loan amount you are applying for. The interest is the additional amount tacked onto your monthly payments, as a fee for borrowing money from your lender. Your monthly payments are paid through an amortization schedule set by your lender. For more information on determining how much of a mortgage you can afford, take advantage of our free Mortgage Calculator offered on our website.
- Set a goal and start a savings plan. We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, buying a home is one of the biggest financial decisions one can make in one’s lifetime. There are many costs to consider outside of the initial sale price listed on the For Sale sign. Costs like down payment, closing costs, and insurance to name a few. It is important to acknowledge each of these commonly overlooked costs before purchasing a home and setting a goal to achieve them. For a comprehensive list of these costs, refer to our post on Costs to Consider.
In addition, you’ll want to start a savings plan that can act as a step-by-step guide to reaching your savings goals. For helpful tips on saving towards your home buying goal, refer to our blog on How to Start Saving for a Down Payment.
- Consider different types of mortgage loan programs. Since each homebuyer has needs and wants that are unique to them, there are a variety of mortgage loan programs to choose from. At VanDyk Mortgage, we specialize in 15- and 30-year Conventional loans, FHA loans, USDA, VA, and Adjustable Rate Mortgage loans.
Each loan program has different requirements and qualifications that must be met by borrowers. For an extensive list of each loan program and its specific qualifications, refer to our Mortgage Loan Options on our website.
- Understand how much insurance you will be required to pay. The cost of mortgage insurance varies depending on which type of mortgage loan you end up choosing. For some loans, insurance is required, while for others, it comes in the form of an upfront funding fee.
Your insurance premium is based on different factors, such as the amount of money you can put towards your down payment or your own unique credit score. For more information on mortgage insurance and how much it could cost you, refer to our post What is Mortgage Insurance?
- What type of loan do you qualify for? One of the most important questions you can ask yourself when choosing the right mortgage loan for you, is ‘What type of loan do I qualify for?’ You can be as determined as you’d like to save towards your goal for the perfect home, but if you don’t qualify, your efforts may be in vain.
The best way to determine this is to talk with an experienced Loan Originator as soon as you are ready to start looking for your new home. They can go over all of your loan options, what types you qualify for and how to start saving towards your goal. To reach out to one of our experienced Loan Originators, contact us today!